Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11...10 years later

None of us will ever forget where we were or what we were doing when we heard about The World Trade Centers and the other events on 9/11.

Our school had late arrival that day and I actually had been sleeping when the towers were hit. I didn't know anything had happened until I arrived at the bus stop and my neighbor seemed very contemplative but was usually a bubbly person. I asked her what was wrong out of genuine concern and she said planes hit the World Trade Center. In my ignorance, I had no idea what it was. That changed very quickly. I was a sophomore in high school and knew that sometimes my stepmom traveled to NYC and worked for the FBI and NHMEC so I didn't know where she was and her family lived there too. I knew they were living in DC at the time so I was more concerned about the Pentagon site and wondering if it affected other buildings in the area. Throughout the day, the new televisions in our hallways were continually playing images of the plane crash site, the planes hitting the buildings and my heart sank. I remember nothing other than shock throughout the day and I learned the most important lesson that no education could ever teach me, what was really important in life: faith, family, and friends.

I visited the site a couple years later on my mission trip to NYC. I still could not comprehend the gravity of visiting there and feel as though I want to go back now that I'm older...and hopefully wiser.

I pray that as today marks a decade since our world changed forever, we would not only remember and pray for those directly affected by this tragedy but that we would ask ourselves: how did this change me and what is really important in my life?

9/11: We'll always remember, never forget and continually pray.

No comments: