Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Learning to wait...

The other day, I heard on KLUV (then a friend mentioned it on FB too), they were talking about praying/thinking about a word that describes your coming year. It could be something you want to learn, something you want to be, or some other word that describes where you are in life.

I knew after praying with a dear friend the other day that mine was definitely 'wait'. I thought about 'here' based on a blog post this same friend posted on her wall and who prayed with me on Sunday. I knew as soon as she said it, that it was not a word that was going to go far from me this year nor would it be a theme that lasted only for the week.

Our society has taught us that we can have just about everything when we want it. We have fast food restaurants, we have drive-thru pharmacies, and we have express shipping. We can go to the local courthouse and get married or elope at some exotic spot without thought of dealing with all the details of planning a wedding.

Its when we are in difficult situations that we are least likely to want to wait. We don't like the pain, we don't like the unknown, nor do we like the unsettled feeling we have. I don't think Paul wanted to wait in jail nor do I think he wanted to be there. My guess is that the word "wait" was not something he wanted to hear. He wanted to be out there preaching the Good News alongside others. He wanted to help change lives for Christ.

Right now I'm waiting for a lot. I'm waiting for a classroom of children to teach. I'm waiting for my future husband. I'm waiting until I can have my own place. I'm waiting to be financially independent from my loved ones. I'm waiting to travel. I'm waiting for many other things too. Do I enjoy waiting when I feel these are the desires that God has placed in my heart? Certainly not. Is it easy to feel "chained" by my waiting? Nope. But I do have hope from God's word: "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." -Psalm 27:14 and "I wait for the LORD, my whole being waits, and in His word I put my hope." -Psalm 130:5

What are you waiting for? Do you believe that God will carry out His plan for your good? Are you willing to wait for God's perfect plan and timing in your life? Are you doing what God has for you RIGHT NOW?

Are you willing to wait?

No comments: